Saturday, November 16, 2013

Delicious Homemade Mayonnaise


I was desperate. I needed mayonnaise for a recipe within the hour, and unthinkably, we had run out! I called my neighbor to ask if she could spare some. She said she didn't have any, but suggested looking up a recipe to make it myself.
I have never bought mayonnaise since. Though I grew up as a die-hard Best Foods fan, I'm completely happy with my homemade mayonnaise - even more so since our family has begun getting away from processed foods. And my husband would brag about this stuff all day to whoever will listen. *smile*
I've altered the original recipe enough that I realized it could actually now be considered my own. So without the worry of plagiarism, I'd like to share this recipe with you!

Mayonnaise Recipe

2 Egg Yolks
1 Egg
1 Tablespoon Mustard (Try different kinds to get the taste you like.)
1 Tablespoon Water
2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
2 Teaspoons Vinegar (Again, try different kinds! We've only used varieties of white vinegar so far.)
1 Teaspoon Honey 
1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
Pepper to Taste
2 Cups Oil (Light Olive, Avocado, Vegetable; You can use Olive Oil, as well, but the flavor is stronger.)

Fit a food processor with the steel blade, and blend all ingredients except the oil. Most processors' feed tubes have small holes in them, so check to make sure yours does. Then fill the feed tube with the oil so that it drips slowly into the bowl, smoothly combining with the egg mixture. Once it has begun to emulsify, the oil can be poured in slowly. You should end up with a silky mayonnaise that's just begging to be tasted! 

The flavor is unique, and can be altered by which ingredients you choose, so have fun coming up with a taste that suits your family. We love the gourmet quality of this delicious mayonnaise, and now that I'm experienced, it only takes me five or ten minutes to whip it up. This makes about 2 1/2 cups, so if you have a large family, you might consider making a couple batches at a time. 

Enjoy!

Have you ever tried your hand at making your own condiments?

2 comments:

  1. I made homemade mayonnaise a while back - yummy! :) Yours looks delish - I don't think mine had as much color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Danielle! I've noticed different oils and mustard affect the color. It's fun to try various combinations depending on what it is our pantry. :)

      Delete